Faculty & Staff Retreat
The College of Pharmacy invites all faculty and staff to attend the 2022 retreat. Vernon A. Wall, a seasoned university administrator, will facilitate a session entitled: “Creating a College Culture Committed to Equity & Inclusion.” The retreat will take place on May 10, 2022, from 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Palmer Commons, Great Lakes Room (100 Washtenaw Avenue).
"Creating a College Culture Committed to Equity & Inclusion”
The term “social justice” is being used (and misused) on college and university campuses more and more these days. What are the characteristics of a campus community committed to social justice? Are we doing things in the name of social justice that are not congruent with the true spirit of equity and inclusion? In this presentation, personal reflections on the current state of social justice education in higher education will be shared as well as an opportunity to assess your college’s successes and challenges in providing a campus environment that is welcoming to all.
- As a result of participating in this session attendees will:
- Receive some introductory key concepts and theory on social justice and inclusion
- Examine the concepts of identity groups and privilege in our society
- Use an “Inclusion Lens” to develop specific strategic activities that support organizational movement towards becoming a more inclusive college
- Develop a process to sustain the conversations on organization change beyond the day of the presentation
Vernon A. Wall has accumulated over 30 years of professional Student Affairs experience at Iowa State University, the University of Georgia, UNC-Charlotte, and UNC-Chapel Hill. He has experience in Greek life, new student orientation, student activities, leadership development, global education, and university housing. Vernon currently lives in Washington DC where he serves as the Director of Business Development for LeaderShape, Inc. Vernon is also President and Founder of One Better World, LLC – a consulting firm specializing in engaging others in courageous social justice and equity conversations.
Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022
Time: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Location: Palmer Commons, Great Lakes Room, 100 Washtenaw Avenue