Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the dates of the program?
The 2021 Pharmacy Scholars Program will be offered in a virtual, 4-week format from May 31 - June 28.
- Why should I attend the Pharmacy Scholars Program?
The Pharmacy Scholars Program is an exciting way for students to gain a unique pre-pharmacy experience.
Academically, the students will be reviewing coursework in math, chemistry, calcaulations, and other topics necessary for a successful transition to pharmacy school. Students will also be exposed to first year pharmacy courses taught by UM's nationally-recognized faculty. The program sessions will provide a challenging, yet equally rewarding experience.
Professionally, PSP students gain the skills and confidence essential for success. Students will work one-on-one with UM faculty and admission representatives, creating an outstanding support network as they continue their grad program search process. Students will also receive virtual mentoring sessions with current pharmacy students, building strong relationships and gaining insight for what life is like at the College of Pharmacy.
- What might a typical day be like for the Pharmacy Scholars Program?
The Pharmacy Scholars Program will be held virtually. A typical day consists of speaker presentations, workshops, and mentoring sessions. Participants are in session from Monday through Friday. Additional information to come.
- Do I have to remain in the program for the full length of time? What happens if I need to start late or leave early?
It is the responsibility of program participants to ensure that there are no scheduling conflicts during the Pharmacy Scholars Program. Exceptions are rarely made for a participant to begin the program late or leave the program early.
- Will there be a stipend?
Yes, additional information to come.
- What supplies will I need?
We will provide nearly all the academic and clinical materials you will need. In order to participate you will need to be able to participate in online meetings, via computer or phone. You will also need a free Zoom account to join virtual meetings. Don’t forget to have pens, pencils, a notebook and or binder to organize your notes.
- Is there a dress code?
Although the program will be online, please keep in mind you will be visible to instructors and colleagues so please choose appropriate clothing, that reflects the fact that you are attending classes in a semi-professional environment. Clothing should not be too revealing or have inappropriate slogans, images or signs.
- Is there an application fee?
There is no application fee for the PSP program.
- When will I hear back regarding a decision on my application?
Applicants will be notified on the status of their application by March 29, 2021
- Will orientation take place prior to the start of the program?
Yes, we will be hosting a virtual orientation to introduce the virtual summer pre-college program, help acclimate students to our online learning platforms, review the program schedule, and other important information!
- I have taken AP chemistry and/or AP biology in high school, so these courses were waived for college. How do I add this information to my application?
When filling out the PSP application please enter “AP Biology” or “AP Chemistry” for both semesters, “high school” for when completed, and “requirement waived” for “grade received”.
- I have taken only one biology lab course but it's asking for two lab courses. Am I eligible for this program?
Yes! You are eligible with just one biology lab course.