Vahlteich Medicinal Chemistry Core VMCC
The VMCC is an on-campus core facility for the design and synthesis of drug-like molecules and diagnostic probes used in biomedical investigations.
Our Mission: To assist biomedical researchers in translating novel therapeutic hypotheses into proof-of-concept in animal models of disease through design and synthesis of small molecule probes, regardless of therapeutic area.
The VMCC strives to meet the following goals:
- Establish productive collaborations with labs engaged in probe or therapeutics discovery within the University and with external collaborators
- Assist in applying for extramural funding to support our collaborations
- Provide an opportunity for graduate students to get laboratory experience and classroom exposure to drug discovery and development
- Provide quality fee-for-service synthesis and drug discovery consulting at affordable rates
VMCC Accomplishments Since 2008:
- Analog design/synthesis for 28 projects (11 with external collaborators)
- 8 have achieved some level of in vivo efficacy
- 59 publications
- 27 patent applications (six granted US patents)
- 52 collaborative grant submissions awarded
- $30 M in directs to UM (external)
- $5 M in directs to VMCC (internal and external)