SNPhA's first meeting was held on the campus of Florida A&M University in 1972. As the student affiliate of the National Pharmaceutical Association (NPhA), SNPhA served as a bridge to connect students of pharmacy to those who desperately need access to healthcare: the underrepresented.
SNPhA is an educational service association of pharmacy students who are concerned about pharmacy and healthcare related issues, and the poor minority representation in pharmacy and other health-related professions.
The purpose of SNPhA is to plan, organize, coordinate and execute programs geared toward the improvement for the health, educational, and social environment of the community.
- To offer student members the opportunity to develop leadership and professional skills.
- To educate students about and promote active participation in national health care issues.
- To develop the role of the minority health professional as a vital member of the health care team.
- To develop within communities a positive image of minority health professionals
- To educate communities on better health care practices and to increase their awareness and understanding of diseases