Sarah Vordenberg is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy.
Dr. Vordenberg's research focuses on engaging adults in adults in the medication decision-making process, specifically related to deprescribing in older adults and selection of safe and effective over-the-counter medications.
Patient education published in JAMA:
Dr. Vordenberg is the course coordinator for the required first year Pharmacy Practice Skills I course (fall semester) and Self-Care course (winter semester). Dr. Vordenberg's clinical service provides an opportunity for health professions students to provide health screenings and education to community members. She does this in part via her engagement with the UM Center for Interprofessional Education Experiential Innovations Workgroup as well as the Interprofessional Community Health Collaborative.
Dr. Vordenberg co-advises the UM chapter of the American Pharmacists Association Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP). She also co-coordinates College of Pharmacy engagement in the University of Michigan Student Run Free Clinic and is a member of the UMSRFC Advisory Board. She is also an active member of the Michigan Pharmacists Association (member of the Education Committee) and American College of Clinical Pharmacy (Treasurer/Secretary for the Education and Training PRN). She is member of the MyDispense International Steering Committee and co-administers the MyDispense USA Community.
Deprescribing medications among older adults
Appropriate use of over-the-counter medications
Improving student learning via computer simulation
- 2023 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2023 Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2022 Outstanding Reviewer, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- 2022 Academic Leadership Fellows Program, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- 2020 Teaching Excellence Award, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- 2019 Fellow, Michigan Pharmacists Association
- 2018 Student Appreciation Award , P1 Class
- 2017 Interprofessional Leadership Fellow, University of Michigan
- 2016 Poster Award: Barriers to Implementation of Community Pharmacy-Based Immunization Services in WayneCounty, Michigan, APhA-APPM Presentation Merit Award for Contributed Research at APhA
- 2016 Pharmacist of the Year, Hope Clinic
- 2015 ACCP MeRIT Scholarship Award, ACCP
Vordenberg SE, Rana R, Shang J, Choi J, Scherer AM, Weir KR. Reasons why older adults in three countries agreed with a deprescribing recommendation in a hypothetical vignette. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol. 2023.
Vordenberg SE, Weir K, Jansen J, Todd A, Schoenborn N, Scherer AM. Harm and medication-type impact agreement with hypothetical deprescribing recommendations: A vignette-based experiment with older adults across four countries. J Gen Int Med. 2023.
Keller MS, Vordenberg SE, Steinman MA. Moving deprescribing upstream. J Gen Intern Med. 2022.
Rana R, Choi J, Vordenberg SE. Older adults’ willingness to consider deprescribing when experience hyperpolypharmacy. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022.
Kim J, Kinney K, Nyquist M, Capellari E, Vordenberg SE. Factors that influence how adults select oral over-the-counter analgesics: A systematic review. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2022.
Choi J, Vordenberg SE. Older adults’ perceptions of deprescribing chronic benzodiazepines. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2021.
Vordenberg SE, Zikmund-Fisher BJ. Characteristics of older adults predict concern about stopping medications. 2020.