Dr. Jason Pogue is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy and an Infectious Diseases Clinical Pharmacist at Michigan Medicine. Prior to his current position, Dr. Pogue spent over a decade at the Detroit Medical Center (DMC) as an Infectious Diseases Clinical Pharmacist at Sinai-Grace Hospital and as the co-chair of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Committee at the DMC.
Dr. Pogue’s research interests focus on the epidemiology and management of infections due to multi-drug resistant Gram-negative bacilli and antimicrobial stewardship. Dr. Pogue is a recognized leader in both of these disciplines as evidenced by his significant contribution of over 120 peer-reviewed articles, over 100 abstracts, multiple book chapters, and invited presentations at numerous national and international conferences. Dr. Pogue is the immediate past president of the Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists, a member of the executive committee of The United States Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (USCAST), and serves as the clinical pharmacy lead for two National Institutes of Health funded international studies targeting strategies to optimize polymyxin usage.
- 2017 Outstanding Clinical Practice in Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy Award, Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists
- 2013 Lamp Award for Most Outstanding Basic Sciences Professor, Wayne State University School of Medicine
- 2011 Preceptor of the Year, UM College of Pharmacy
1. Wunderink RG, Matsunaga Y, Ariyasu M, Clevenbergh P, Echols R, Kaye KS, Kollef M, Menon A, Pogue JM, Shorr AF, Timsit JF, Zeitlinger M, Nagata TD. Cefiderocol versus high-dose, extended-infusion meropenem for the treatment of Gram-negative nosocomial pneumonia (APEKS-NP): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3, non-inferiority trial. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021 Feb;21(2):213-225. Feb;21(2):213-225.
2. Pogue JM, Jones RN, Bradley JS, Andes DR, Bhavnani SM, Drusano GL, Dudley MN, Flamm RK, Rodvold KA, Ambrose PG. Polymyxin Susceptibility Testing and Interpretive Breakpoints: Recommendations from the United States Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (USCAST). Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2020 Jan 27;64(2).
3. Pogue JM, Kaye KS, Veve MP, Patel TS, Gerlach AT, Davis SL, Puzniak LA, File TM, Olson S, Dhar S, Bonomo RA, Perez F. Ceftolozane/Tazobactam vs Polymyxin or Aminoglycoside-based Regimens for the Treatment of Drug-resistant Pseudomonas Aeruginosa. Clin Infect Dis. 2019 Sep 23.
4. Tsuji BT, Pogue JM, Zavascki AP, Paul M, Daikos GL, Forrest A, Giacobbe DR, Viscoli C, Giamarellou H, Karaiskos I, Kaye D, Mouton JW, Tam VH, Thamlikitkul V, Wunderink RG, Li J, Nation RL, Kaye KS. International Consensus Guidelines for the Optimal Use of the Polymyxins: Endorsed by the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP), European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID), Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA), International Society for Anti-infective Pharmacology (ISAP), Society of Critical Care Medicine (SCCM), and Society of Infectious Diseases Pharmacists (SIDP). Pharmacotherapy. 2019 Jan;39(1):10-39
5. Pogue JM, Bonomo RA, Kaye KS. Ceftazidime/avibactam, Meropenem/vaborbactam or both? Clinical and formulary considerations. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Jul 18.
1. Albin OR, Pogue JM, Petty LA, Kaye KS. Asymptomatic bacterisputia: Rethinking diagnostic stewardship in pneumonia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021 May 3:1-3.
2. Cwengros LN, Mynatt RP, Timbrook TT, Mitchell R, Salimnia H, Lephart P, Pogue JM. Minimizing Time to Optimal Antimicrobial Therapy for Enterobacteriaceae Bloodstream Infections: A Retrospective, Hypothetical Application of Predictive Scoring Tools vs Rapid Diagnostics Tests. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2020 Jul 2;7(8):ofaa278.
3. Pogue JM, Heil EL, Lephart P, Johnson JK, Mynatt RP, Salimnia H, Claeys KC. An Antibiotic Stewardship Program Blueprint for Optimizing Verigene BC-GN within an Institution: a Tale of Two Cities. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Apr 26;62(5).
4. Claeys KC, Heil EL, Pogue JM, Lephart PR, Johnson JK. The Verigene dilemma: gram-negative polymicrobial bloodstream infections and clinical decision making. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2018 Feb 2.
5. Pogue JM, Mynatt RP, Marchaim D, Zhao JJ, Barr VO, Moshos J, Sunkara B, Chopra T, Chidurala S, Kaye KS. Automated alerts coupled with antimicrobial stewardship intervention lead to decreases in length of stay in patients with Gram-negative bacteremia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2014 Feb;35(2):132-8.
Vancomycin and Acute Kidney Injury:
1. Zasowski EJ, Murray KP, Trinh TD, Finch NA, Pogue JM, Mynatt RP, Rybak MJ. Identification of Vancomycin Exposure-Toxicity Thresholds in Hospitalized Patients Receiving Intravenous Vancomycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Dec 21;62(1).
2. Finch NA, Zasowski EJ, Murray KP, Mynatt RP, Zhao JJ, Yost R, Pogue JM, Rybak MJ. The Impact of Vancomycin Area Under the Concentration-Time Curve-Guided Dosing on Vancomycin-Associated Nephrotoxicity: a Quasi-Experiment. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Nov 22;61(12).
3. Navalkele B, Pogue JM, Karino S, Nishan B, Salim M, Solanki S, Pervaiz A, Tashtoush N, Shaikh H, Koppula S, Koons J, Hussain T, Perry W, Evans R, Martin ET, Mynatt RP, Murray KP, Rybak MJ, Kaye KS. Risk of Acute Kidney Injury in Patients on Concomitant Vancomycin and Piperacillin-Tazobactam Compared to Those on Vancomycin and Cefepime. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Jan 15;64(2):116-123
4. Karino S, Kaye KS, Navalkele B, Nishan B, Salim M, Solanki S, Pervaiz A, Tashtoush N, Shaikh H, Koppula S, Martin ET, Mynatt RP, Murray KP, Rybak MJ, Pogue JM. Epidemiology of Acute Kidney Injury among Patients Receiving Concomitant Vancomycin and Piperacillin-Tazobactam: Opportunities for Antimicrobial Stewardship. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 May 23;60(6):3743-50.
5. Sutton JD, Mynatt RP, Kaye KS, Murray KP, Rybak MJ, Pogue JM. Nephrotoxicity comparison of two commercially available generic products. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015 Sep;59(9):5470-4.
1. Pogue JM, McCreary EK, Justo JA. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-2019). In Pharmacotherapy: A Pathophysiological Approach Editon 12th edition. Joseph T. DiPiro, Gary C. Yee, L. Michael Posey, Stuart T Haines, Thomas D. Nolin, Vicki Ellingrod.
2. Pogue JM, Scheetz, M. (2018). What Every Steward Should Know About Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics. In T. Barlam, M. Neuhauser, P. Tamma, & K. Trivedi (Eds.), Practical Implementation of an Antibiotic Stewardship Program (pp. 155-174). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
3. Kaye KS, Pogue JM, Kaye D. “Polymyxins (polymyxin b and colistin).” In Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases, 9th edition, Gerald L. Mandell, John E. Bennett and Raphael Dolin editors, Churchill Livingstone.
4. Pogue JM, Dudley MN, Eranki A, Kaye KS. "Tetracyclines and Chloramphenicol" In Infectious Diseases, 4th Edition, Jonathan Cohen, William G Powederly, Steven M. Opal.
5. Pogue JM, Tam VH. "Toxicities in Patients." In Polymyxin Antibiotics: From Laboratory Bench to Bedside. Jian Li, Roger L. Nation, Keith Kaye.
6. Pogue JM, Ortwine JK, Kaye KS. Optimal use of Gram-negative antibiotics in the real-world: providing effective therapy while minimizing resistance. In Antibiotic Stewardship: Principles and Practice.