The Pharmacy Scholars Program (PSP) is a new program in the College of Pharmacy, at the University of Michigan. It is a six week residential program designed to support participants through the admissions process for pharmacy school. Program participants will also have an opportunity to increase their knowledge of career opportunities in the field of pharmacy.
PSP targets college juniors, seniors, recent graduates and individuals making a career transition who are on track to enter pharmacy school the academic year following their participation. PSP has a strong focus on PCAT preparation, and participants will spend a majority of their time in test preparatory classes or facilitated study groups. Students will also participate in shadowing, in seminars and workshops related to pharmacy, and in simulated clinical and lab experiences. They will also meet pharmacists working in various areas of the field, and participate in formal and informal interactions with faculty and staff in the College of Pharmacy.
What might a typical day be like for the Pharmacy Scholars Program?
A typical day consists of test preparatory courses, speaker presentations, and workshops. Participants are in session from 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Students are also expected to use their evening free time for studying and exam preparation.
How close is the College of Pharmacy to the residence hall?
The College of Pharmacy is about a 10-12 minute walk from the residence halls.
To participate in PSP, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- College junior, senior, recent graduate, or individual making a career transition
- Self identify as educationally, socially, or economically disadvantaged OR demonstrated commitment to serve under served populations within the U.S. (see detailed criteria on application)
- Cumulative and science GPA of 2.8 or better
- Completed the following courses:
- 1 year of General Chemistry with lab
- 1 year of Organic Chemistry with lab
- 1 year of Biology with lab
- Calculus I
- 1 semester of English composition