What is Pharmacy?
Pharmacists are medication experts who use their detailed knowledge of medicines to help patients get well. The methods they use vary from one practice setting to the next, but general pharmacist responsibilities include:
- Dispensing medications, assuring the safety and appropriateness of the prescribed therapy
- Monitoring patient health and progress to achieve the best medication results
- Partnering with consumers and patients to provide education and advice on the use of prescription and over-the-counter medications
- Collaborating with physicians, nurses, and other members of the health care team to provide expertise on drug decisions and improve patient outcomes
- Providing knowledge about the composition of drugs based upon their chemical, biological, and physical properties, as well as their manufacture and use
- Safeguarding drug purity and strength
For more information, please visit the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP).