James Moon, PhD
2012 Postdoc, Materials Science and Biological Engineering, MIT (HHMI)
2008 PhD, Bioengineering, Rice University
2002 BS, Bioengineering, University of California, Berkeley
The Moon Laboratory is interested in the development of therapeutics and diagnostics at the interface of immunology and engineering. Specifically, we are developing new drug delivery systems that can enhance targeting of antigen and adjuvant to lymphoid organs, thereby manipulating immune functions in the context of cancer, infectious diseases, and autoimmunity. Our translational research focused on immunoengineering utilizes tools of nanotechnology, biomaterials, drug delivery, tissue engineering, and advanced in vitro/in vivo high-throughput methods to detect and improve immune functions. One thrust of our research is the development of a nanoparticle vaccine that can induce anti-tumoral cellular immune responses for cancer immunotherapy. The second thrust in the lab focuses on the synthesis of novel biomaterials for mucosal immunization against infectious pathogens, including HIV.
2016 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
2016 Department of Defense Career Development Award – Peer Reviewed Cancer Research
2015 Melanoma Research Alliance Young Investigator Award
2014 AAPS New Investigator Award in Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technologies
2012 NIH K22 Research Scholar Development Award
2012 American Association of Immunologist Trainee Award
2011 IEEE-EMBS Harvard Wyss Institute Award for Translational Research
2010 Young Investigator Award (Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society)
2008 Mary F.D. Morse Graduate Fellowship Award
2007 Graduate Student Research Award, North American Vascular Biology Organization
2006 Sigma Xi Graduate Student Research Award
Drug delivery systems
Vaccine design and development
Kuai R, Li D, Chen YE, Moon JJ*, and Schwendeman A*. High density lipoproteins: nature’s multifunctional nanoparticles, 10, 3, 3015-41, 2016, ACS Nano.
Li AV*, Moon JJ*, Abraham W, Elkhader J, Suh K, Yen M, Im EJ, Barouch DH, and Irvine DJ. Generation of robust effector memory T-cell-based mucosal and systemic immunity with pulmonary nanoparticle vaccination, 204ra130, 2013, Science Translational Medicine.
Moon JJ, Huang B, and Irvine DJ. Engineering nano- and micro-particles to tune immunity, 24, 3724-46, 2012, Advanced Materials.
Moon JJ, Suh H, Li AV, Ockenhouse CF, Yadava A, and Irvine DJ. Enhancing humoral responses to a malaria antigen with nanoparticle vaccines that expand Tfh cells and promote germinal center induction, 109, 1080-5, 2012, PNAS
Moon JJ, Suh H, Bershteyn A, Stephan MT, Liu H, Huang B, Sohail M, Luo S, Um SH, Chiu W, and Irvine DJ. Interbilayer-crosslinked multilamellar vesicles for potent humoral and cellular immune responses, 10, 243-251, 2011, Nature Materials
Stephan MT, Moon JJ, Um SH, Bershteyn A, and Irvine DJ. Therapeutic cell engineering with surface-conjugated synthetic nanoparticles, 16, 1035-41, 2010, Nature Medicine.
- Yuchen Fan; Preety Sahdev; Lukasz J. Ochyl; Jonathan J. Akerberg; James J. Moon Cationic liposome-hyaluronic acid hybrid nanoparticles for intranasal vaccination with subunit antigens. Journal of Controlled Release. 2015;208():121-129
- Rui Kuai; Lukasz J. Ochyl; Anna Schwendeman; James J. Moon Lipid-based nanoparticles for vaccine applications. Biomedical Engineering: Frontier Research and Converging Technologies. 2015;9():177-197
- Lukasz J. Ochyl; James J. Moon Whole-animal imaging and flow cytometric techniques for analysis of antigen-specific CD8+ T cell responses after nanoparticle vaccination. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 2015;2015(98):
- Preety Sahdev; Lukasz J. Ochyl; James J. Moon Biomaterials for nanoparticle vaccine delivery systems. Pharmaceutical Research. 2014;31(10):2563-2582
- Adrienne V. Li; James J. Moon; Wuhbet Abraham; Heikyung Suh; Jamal Elkhader; Michael A. Seidman; Minmin Yen; Eung-Jun Im; Maria H. Foley; Dan H. Barouch; Darrell J. Irvine Generation of effector memory T cell-based mucosal and systemic immunity with pulmonary nanoparticle vaccination. Science Translational Medicine. 2013;5(204):