Burgunda Sweet, PharmD
College of Pharmacy
428 Church St
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1065
Dr. Sweet is the Assistant Dean for Curriculum and Assessment and a Clinical Professor in the Department of Clinical Pharmacy at the University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, and a Clinical Pharmacist for Michigan Medicine Health. She is nationally known for her work in the area of formulary management and medication use policy. Her responsibilities include directing assessment activities for the PharmD program, chairing the Curriculum and Assessment Committee, serving as the lead faculty for the evidence-based medicine thread in the curriculum, and participating in formulary management activities at the health system. She is also a member of the university's interprofessional education (IPE) executive committee, and co-chair of the university's IPE curriculum committee.
Teaching effectiveness and curriculum assessment
Medication use policy
- 2022 Outstanding Advisor, UM Advising Council, nominee for this award
- 2022 IPE Award for Innovation and Excellence, UM Center for IPE
- 2022 IMS Global Learning Consortium, learning impact award, finalist for this international award
- 2019 Towner Prize awarded to E. Tucker (PhD candidate I was an advisor for), UM College of Engineering
- 2019 Innovation and Excellence in IPE, UM Center for IPE
- 2017 Teaching Excellence Award, College of Pharmacy
- 2017 Best SAS Publication Award for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, AACP
- 2017 ACPE Certified Site Visitor, ACPE
- 2015 Provost's Teaching Innovation Prize, UM Provost
- 2015 Michigan World Class Video Production, UM Provost Office
- 2013 Teaching Excellence Award, UM College of Pharmacy
- 2011 Professional Practice Award, Michigan Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- 2011 Innovative Response to Public Health Challenges, US Pharmacopeia
- 2007 Fellow, American Society Health-System Pharmacists (FASHP)
Kaakeh R, Sweet BV, Reilly C, Bush C, DeLoach S, Higgins B, Clark A, Stevenson J. Impact of drug shortages on US health systems. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2011;68:1811-9.
Sweet BV, Schwemm AK, Parsons DM. Review of the processes for FDA oversight of drugs, medical devices, and combination products. J Manag Care Pharm. 2011;17:40-50.
Sweet BV, Tamer HR, Siden R, McCreadie SR, McGregory M, Benner T, Tankanow R. Improving investigational drug service operations through development of an innovative computer system. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2008;65:969-73.
Saad AH, Sweet BV, Stumpf JL, Gruppen L, Oh M, Stevenson JG. Pharmacist recognition of and adherence to medication-use policies and safety practices. Am J Health-Syst Pharm. 2007;64:2050-4.